Below are some relevant tools and resources regarding COVID-19 and employers/businesse.
(Last updated April 1, 2020)
Canadian Federal Government COVID-19 Economic Response Plan:
- Support for Canadians and Businesses
- FAQ page about wage subsidies
- Updated details on the Wage Subsidy Program – April 1, 2020
- March 23rd at 1:00 pm ET – What employers need to know about COVID-19 (by Ceridian, Presenter: Employment Lawyer Stuart Ducoffe of e2r)
- COVID-19 and the Workplace: What Employers Need to Know Now Webinar – Mathews Dinsdale Global HR Lawyers (visit their site for more info)
- COVID-19 Webinar Series – Managing Remote Teams: How can HR Train Managers? (by McLean & Company)
- March 26th at 1:15 ET – COVID-19 Webinar Series: How to Effectively Manage a Remote Team (by McLean & Company)
- Trudeau unveils $82B COVID-19 emergency response package for Canadians, businesses – CBC News
- Big banks promise mortgage help for Canadians as Ottawa set to announce $25B in COVID-19 relief – CBC News
- Requesting an ROE during the COVID-19 outbreak – Update by Wagepoint
- Financial Measures to Assist Canadian Families – Knowledge Bureau
- Financial Measures to Help Canadian Businesses – Knowledge Bureau
- FAQ’s: COVID-19 and the Workplace Updated March 18/20 – Mathews Dinsdale Global HR Lawyers
- Ontario Releases List of Essential Workplaces Protected from Closure Directive – Mathews Dinsdale Global HR Lawyers
- BDC announces additional measures to provide relief for Canadian entrepreneurs – BDC
- Frequently Asked Questions – Temporary Wage Subsidy for Employers – CRA
- Tips for coping with COVID-19 – Morneau Shepell
- Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic – CAMH
Tools & Resources:
- Pandemic Preparedness Guide for Business – Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- How to protect your business and your employees – Intuit QuickBooks
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan – Department of Finance Canada
- Government of Canada Public Health Services:
- Government of Ontario – The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- WSIB (offices closed) – How to get in touch
- Covid-19 Updates & Resources – Institute of Professional Bookkeepers of Canada
- CFIB Small Business Resources for Dealing with COVID-19
- WeirFoulds LLP Resource page
The Government of Canada has instructed the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) to make available $10 Billion to help small businesses being impacted by COVID-19. You do not need to be a BDC client to access funds. You may not feel you need any additional funding right now, but as we don’t know how long we may be impacted by COVID-19, it is imperative that we think ahead, forecast our cash needs, and get access to available funding.
As well, it’s always important to ensure that the information being shared is accurate, as sadly a lot of advice and info on Facebook is often inaccurate or simply create to cause panic. A good fact checking site to visit is: Snopes.
- The deadline to file 2019 individual income tax and benefit returns has been extended to June 1, 2020.
- The deadline to pay any balance due for individual income tax and benefit returns for 2019 has been extended from April 30, 2020, to September 1, 2020. This means they will not be assessed any penalties or interest if the balance due is paid by September 1, 2020.
- For self-employed individuals or those who have spouses or common-law partners that are self-employed, the deadline to pay any balance due for their individual income tax and benefit return has been extended from April 30, 2020, to September 1, 2020.
- For individuals who pay income tax by instalments, the June 15, 2020 instalment payments will be deferred until September 1, 2020. They will not be assessed any penalties or interest if their instalment is paid by September 1, 2020.